Tuesday, November 7, 2023

A Heartfelt Quilt for Baby Indy - Accuquilt Wonky Heart BOB


Please bless the little head that lies beneath these quilted threads.



Hey there from Nannyland,


I've been super excited to have the opportunity to sew a baby quilt after a very long break with no little ones waiting to appear.  Happily, a sweet little mom, whom I think of as a granddaughter, recently announced that she would be giving birth to a darling baby girl in November.  Indy Jean, as she will be called, will certainly be beyond adorable because her family is already the cutest in the world, with a three-year-old boy named Tuf who has already stolen my heart. 
 


My dilemma has been designing this quilt in a more modern style, since the last ones I created for my Etsy Store several years ago rocked ducks and bunnies in shades of pink, blue and yellow.  While I think I could still come up with something cute using that recipe, I really wanted to make this one more current, since my friend (and hairdresser) is a very stylish lady.  I've been noticing the popular colors for babies are more muted shades of pinks, blues and neutrals, often referred to as boho colors after their earthy hues.  I searched the internet for fabric that would "make the cut" and found a pretty collection by Moda in Etsy called Songbook.  The peachy pinks and tans match the colors in little Indie's nursery perfectly.   



I cut my layer cake with my favorite  Accuquilt Wonky Heart BOB die to create 35 six-inch finished blocks and added white 1-1/2 inch sashing and aqua corner stones to set my blocks.  The back is the same aqua fabric with small metallic flowers as  the corner stones and the swirly heart edge-to-edge pattern my long arm quilter used to mimic my heart blocks shows up beautifully. I added my usual striped binding in aqua and white and I love how things came together.  I carefully washed my finished quilt in Dreft baby detergent on the gentle cycle and dried it on the low setting to bring out all the soft crinkly texture. I don't often wash my quilts before I gift them, so I'm always surprised and amazed at the change in texture after they come out of the dryer.  I really love it and hope my recipients do, too.  I have made a decision to wash all my quilts in the future before I gift them so they are fresh, newly crinkled and cuddly soft when they reach their new home. 



This quilt still feels quite different from my usual brightly colored creations, but I loved going out of my comfort zone for my special friend and her baby.  I hope little Indie and her mom will cherish it for many years to come.  I opened up Indy's closet and it was full of the cutest little wardrobe items in all the boho colors of her quilt.  Now I just can't wait to meet her in a week or two!  I also think my boy Tuf needs a quilt all his own.  Hmmm.  What would a three year old boy like?  Another creative conundrum to tackle.

Thanks for visiting Nannyland.
I'll just be here blissfully creating until your next visit. 
Nancy (aka Pink Panoply)

No comments:

Post a Comment