Friday, September 20, 2024

Cozy Flannel Self Binding Receiving Blankets for Charity

“Charity is not an act but a way of life, a condition of the heart.”
Robert Millet



Hey there from Nannyland,

I recently hit a little bump in the road on my breast cancer journey and will be starting a more aggressive treatment plan in the next few weeks. I have faith that all will be well in the end, but in the meantime I will be spending more time at home, which translates to many blissful hours in the perfect place for distraction and healing... right here in Nannyland.  I am so blessed to have a peaceful retreat with so many wonderful cheery projects just waiting for me to dive in. 

Nothing can lift my spirits more than sewing projects for charity, especially those for children.  I still haven't settled on the perfect home for my baby quilts and receiving blankets, but I have found very appreciative recipients in women's shelters in the past.  I plan to make many of these fun blankets and I am researching several different organizations and hospitals to make sure I find good homes for them.     


I found tons of beautiful good quality quilting flannel in my stash to start my projects, along with this extremely helpful video tutorial on sewing self binding receiving blankets.  I made several appliqued ones like this one and this one to sell in my Etsy shop years ago, but I really learned some new things in this video that helps them to turn out perfect every time. 


I love using the best quilting flannel I can find for these because it is so soft and sturdy, and they will obviously be washed over and over again.  The cheaper fabric just doesn't hold up the same after washing. 


                                                                                        

The fabrics in my stash are pretty old but some of  the most adorable kids flannel still comes from Robert Kaufman, as seen in most of the fabrics above.  The darling owl fabric is from Riley Blake. I'm always thrilled when I find cute flannel at my quilt shop because it inspires me to get going and create more kid quilts for charity. I can never make too many!!!

These quilts are just the right size and weight to roll up and tie with a bow for a favorite charity or a fun shower for a precious little one. Fast, easy, fun, adorable, useful and they need no quilting.  What's not to love?

Thanks for visiting Nannyland.
I'll just be here blissfully creating until your next visit.
Nancy (aka Pink Panoply)

No comments:

Post a Comment