Thursday, August 25, 2022

Hooked Again - Crocheted Granny Square Pillow

Never underestimate the importance of having fun. 



Hey there from Nannyland,

When I moved to my new home a couple of years ago, I vowed that I would pick my two favorite artistic pursuits, cardmaking and quilting, and leave the myriad of other things I love behind for lack of time, space and energy.  Goodbye to parchment craft, knitting, crocheting, jewelry making, scrapbooking, painting, the whole shebang.  Hello to focusing on the things I love most and spending more time perfecting my skills. I gave away box after box of supplies to elated friends but  I couldn't part with my tools because they were expensive and, well, you never know.  

I was happily living in my Nannyland bubble whenl I noticed some of my favorite fabric and quilt designers were  incorporating their designs into smaller projects in the form of needle point and crochet.  Enter my old friend, the crocheted granny square.   Lori Holt has her own chunky thread (size 2 yarn) in all the colors of her fabrics and has made some absolutely charming projects using the original granny square that has been a crochet staple since forever.  When I actually spied some granny square pillows in Bed, Bath and Beyond last week, I knew I had to pull out my hooks and give crocheting a crafty comeback.  Lori's beautiful afghan was way too ambitious for me but I couldn't resist giving this cute pillow in Lori's YouTube tutorial a go.                                                     .



Just a few Hallmark movies later, I had this fun handmade addition ready to perk up my quilty guestroom.


 I'm obsessed with Lori Holt fabrics so her coordinating yarns were a perfect match to many of my quilts.


 

I followed Lori's instructions and crocheted several granny square rounds in different colors.  I used twelve colors in all, and crocheted them in the same order three times. 

I was happy to use a pillow I already had instead of a regular pillow form.  Amazingly, the red coordinated with all the bright colors in my crochet work. 

The corners should meet in the middle but not overlap too much because the piece needs to fit snugly around the pillow and not sag anywhere. 



I used a single crochet to join the corners together in the back.



And, voila, a fancy bright pillow for my guest room in keeping with the quilty handmade vibes. 

Now, I'm back to knitting wash cloths for Christmas gifts because it's so fun to have something productive to do when I'm watching TV.  Sitting quietly has never been my thing.  I guess I  can allow knitting and crocheting to sneak back into Nannyland as long as it's just in little spurts.  But no giant afghans for me this time.  Just busy little lap projects in front of the TV.  But, alas, my yarn bins are filling up again...drat. 

Thanks for visiting Nannyland.
I'll just be here blissfully creating until your next visit.  
Nancy (aka Pink Panoply)

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I love to crochet, but never though of wrapping a pillow. Thank you so much for showing me this!!! This would go perfectly with our not a card anything goes challenge this week! I miss seeing your projects over at Crafting Happiness Challenges. We are now weekly with 2 options: 1) Card with a theme each week or you can choose 2) Not a card - there is no theme for non-card projects - it's anything goes. Hope to see you come back and play! This week the card theme is flowers. Smiles!
    https://craftinghappinesschallenges.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete