Thursday, June 20, 2024

Preview of Millie's Dresses Wall Hanging Quilt

Fashion is the art and you are the canvas. 



Hey there from Nannyland,


I've had my eye out for a really cute dress quilt block and I've definitely found it with this darling Millie's Dresses pattern by Lori Holt.  I've been planning a special wall hanging for years, patiently waiting for the right design to complete my vision. 


This adorable Lori Holt fabric collection is called Mercantile and it perfectly suits these nostalgic vintage-style dresses.  I almost hated to cut into my fat quarters, but it was super fun coordinating the collars and belts with the main dresses. 


Lori's original quilt design calls for 16 dresses, but I only needed six for my wall hanging.  I had such a delightful time piecing them, I may decide to make the whole quilt at some point.  The borders Lori has created for her setting are amazing.  I  have a specific spot I want to hang my smaller quilt, and it's a little bit of a squeeze, so I'll save the fancy borders for a bigger quilt.  



I've grown accustomed to cutting my pieces on my Accuquilt Go, so rotary cutting several small pieces was a little bit of a stretch for me.  I had to rely on my questionable math skills for accuracy instead of depending on the precision of die cuts.  I don't mind doing this, though, because there are so many beautiful quilts out there that don't quite fit  my Accuilt dies.  I was able to cut my 1 1/2 inch sashing and borders with my Go stip dies, thank goodness.  

With my hand cut pieces,  I really felt I had hold my tongue in the right place while sewing the blocks so that I preserved all my corners and the pieces lined up where they should.  I failed in this attempt a few times, as always,  but I still think the dresses look adorable. 

I have a really fun idea for the hanging of my quilt that will make me happy every time I look at it.  Stay tuned for the unveiling in a couple of months when everything comes together. 

Thanks for visiting Nannyland.
I'll just be here blissfully creating until your next visit.
Nancy (aka Pink Panoply)

No comments:

Post a Comment