Saturday, July 21, 2018

Scrappy Churn Dash Quilt - Lori Holt Fabrics and Accuquilt Go

👉  My soul is fed with needle and thread.


Hi everyone,

They say life is just of bowl of cherries...and that's especially true with  these sweet Lori Holt Sew Cherry fabrics that I stitched up into a happy, scrappy, traditional quilt.  Riley Blake fabrics are always my first pick for bright, colorful vintage style quilts.  The colors make me so happy and the prints remind me of my grandma's house dresses.  (Remember those?)



I call myself a "quilter wannabe" because I still have so much to learn about the finer techniques of quilting. I am self taught, and happily I find piecing fabrics  pretty forgiving if the block isn't too complicated   And I'd be hard pressed to find a friend or family member who doesn't love cuddling under a  warm, comfy handmade quilt, even if some of the stitches are a little random.

I made plenty of mistakes on this quilt and at first I was a little bit sad that I used my favorite fabrics with such an imperfect result. But then I realized that I have learned so much about what not to do and what I really should always do,  that I think this quilt will forever be one of my favorites.

Here are some of the things I learned:
  1. The final machine quilting process is HARD with a larger size quilt.  I see why people quilt with their credit cards.  More time for the actual fun part. Maybe next time.
  2. The fun part is piecing!  
  3. The Binding Tool is easy once you get the hang of it.  
  4. Lots of white in a quilt makes the colors pop.
  5. Scrappy is my fave.
  6. Striped binding is my other fave.
  7. The Accuquilt Go Churn Dash BOB die makes cutting so much faster and piecing infinitely easier. (Scroll down and check out the video on this link.) 
  8. Learning by doing is the best way to learn.  Just wade in and get wet. 
Can't wait to use what I've learned on my next quilt...and make some more useful mistakes.

Thanks for visiting.
Go forth and create something fabulous.
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment