Friday, March 1, 2019

Molly Harrison Moonlight Solstice - Fairy, Polar Beat and Copics


"The color of springtime is in the flowers; the color of winter is in the imagination.”



I admit, I'm a wimpy Californian who never sees snow unless I seek it out in some distant nether region,  but I still remember how mounds of soft white snow look and feel.  I spent many delightful wintry days growing up in Utah and I reminisce about how beautiful the mountains and fields around me looked with a fresh new layer of untouched, sparkling snow. I wouldn't want to go back to the icy roads, slippery sidewalks and freezing extremities now, but as I colored this image, I could imagine being this lovely fairy on a still winter night with the beautifully sparkling northern lights  around her and I drew a peaceful breath. 

The magical fairy image is this digi art featured in the January 2017 Kit and Clowder online coloring class.  I followed along with the video and I'm pretty happy with my results but, as usual, I made plenty of mistakes so I think I'll practice on this image a few more times.  I enjoyed learning how to do the Northern Lights sky and I'm excited to use this technique again on some other mystical night scenes.  It's really not difficult to accomplish, although it takes a little time and concentration.  This card is 5 x 7 but some parts of the image are small and I struggled to get the contrast I wanted on the fairy. However, I got some much needed practice using a light  touch with my copics.  Alyce Keegan is such a genius at this and I really enjoy learning from her. 

When I spend time and effort coloring an image, I always want it to be the focal point of my card, but I still couldn't resist framing it with something glitzy. That vivid sky just begged for it.  I used a Spellbinder frame die to cut this glossy gold frame and added some magenta rhinestones for a little bling.  It's my thing. 

I feel like I've paid my yearly homage to the joys of winter...now I'm going to dream of a sweet early  California spring.  

Thanks for visiting.
Go forth and create something beautiful.
Nancy

Playing along with:
        
        CCEE Challenge #1909






13 comments:

  1. That’s a beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at Die Cuttin’ Divas this week.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful coloring Nancy. That gold frame is justbthe perfect addition to the masterpiece! I am a happy Floridian that also has no desire to experience winter beyond my own creativity!
    Hugs
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica. Aren't you happy we can look at the lovely snow in pictures and then go out and enjoy the sun? We're blessed! xo

      Delete
  3. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at KCC, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this technique but it looks great !

    Thanks for joining our "Love it " Challenge @ Little Red Wagon this week. Hope to see you back again soon !

    Imke ~ MY CRAFTY PLACE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I've been a wimpy Californian for almost 40 years now but have the same fond memories of snow growing up around Chicago. What gorgeous coloring, Nancy. The Northern lights do seem like a winter's eve rainbow. Love the framing, too. Thanks so much for joining us at Aurora Wings. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely card! Thanks so much for playing with us at Die Cuttin Divas. Hope to see you again soon :)

    michelle (Die Cuttin Divas DT)
    Purple Monkey Moments

    ReplyDelete
  7. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! Thank you for sharing with us at Double Trouble Papercrafting Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is beautiful...love the framed die cut in gold, and the image and coloring is fantastic and gorgeous sky background. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble but would love you to also share this with our partner Use Your Stuff "Magic" (their link is on our challenge post). You still have some time to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous card!! Thanks for joining us at DCD this week!
    Have a great day.
    Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous design. I love K&C Classes. The images are wonderful and you learn so much. Thanks for sharing at Die Cuttin' Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! Thank you for joining our “Polar Bear” Challenge at Die Cuttin’ Divas.

    Stay Creative,
    Georgiana
    • Carson's Creations •
    Die Cuttin’ Diva DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous coloring - such a stunning card. Thanks for joining in the YNS Star challenge.

    ReplyDelete