Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Accuquilt Go Oven Mitt and Dollar Store Basket Revisited

Gifts of time and  love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly Merry Christmas.
Peg Bracken



Hey there from Nannyland, 

It's that wonderful time of year when we get to express our love to friends and family by bringing small tokens of our affection to their door.  A few years ago I watched this video on YouTube and created this Dollar Store Gift basket for my friends. To my surprise, it was a mega hit.  So this year,  since I  have moved to a new state, I'm excited for  the opportunity to recreate my baskets for a whole new group of friends!  I knew I had to start gathering all my cooking items weeks early because they can't be found in the picked over aisles of the Dollar Store when it gets closer to Christmas. And the same items, like the Betty Crocker cookie mixes, cost much more in the grocery store.   
 


I decided to up my game this year by sewing handmade oven mitts to spruce up my Dollar Store booty.  I used this die cut from Accuquilt Go to cut out the mitt, and then quilted, stitched and bound it, just like I would a quilt.  The most time consuming part was the quilting because I had to mark the hatched quilt lines with a fabric marking pen. The batting is insulated so it's leggit for keeping hands safe from the heat.  


I made eight of them, six for baskets and two filled with kitchen items that made fun smaller gifts on their own.  Although I logged some serious time, they were fun and fairly simple to sew. After I have recovered from my assembly line sewing frenzy, I plan to make others in different themes for future gifts (maybe with aprons to match...too cute).  I love the way they turned out.  I created the tag in Cricut Design Space to inform the recipient the mitt is handmade, but the rest was carefully curated from the Dollar Store. 



Whew!  All wrapped up and ready to go.  Another holiday score with the help of an ingenious Accuquilt die and The Dollar Store! 

Thanks for visiting Nannyland.
I'll just be here blissfully creating until your next visit.  
Nancy (aka Pink Panoply)

No comments:

Post a Comment