Friday, February 23, 2024

My Doodled Scripture Journals

 Focus on the step in front of you, not the whole staircase. 



Hey there from Nannyland,


Before I started my recent art journaling adventure, I discovered another extremely satisfying way to add art to my daily routine.  A few years ago I was thrilled to discover bibles with wide margins for notes and journaling.  What fun real-estate for inspired sketching during my scripture study! I found several interesting blogs and YouTube channels on bible journaling and realized the possibilities are endless.  It's a very personal way to pair two things I love...reading my scriptures and drawing/coloring.  One blogger even mentioned that this combination adds to our understanding of the scriptures because our creativity and our spiritual beliefs are both embedded in our soul. 


So far, I haven't spent enough time doing this, but when I do, it's extremely fulfilling.  I have promised myself not to spend too much time making my sketchy drawings perfect. I have a gazillion stamps which are also fun to use.  I use colored pencils to color the images because markers bleed through the thin paper.  They are definitely not my strong suit, but they're fast and easy to use and I have vowed to finished my art in just the amount of time I reserve for a scripture reading session. After all, they are for my eyes only.  I usually pick a scripture that speaks to me and then I try to reflect it in my art.  I don't like to cover my scriptures with my art, but I mark the scripture that I am focusing my drawing on.  I bookmark my page with washi tape so it's fun to thumb back through my pages and see my favorite scriptures brightly illustrated and easy to find.  




When I found out there were so many cool bibles with wide margins, I went searching for a Book of Mormon with the same format.  Amazingly, they are common also, so I can work out of both sets of scriptures.  These are used for art journaling only and I have separate scriptures for regular study, which are heavily marked. 

I get so much enjoyment from studying my scriptures this way.  It does help me to learn and remember my favorite scriptures much better.  My plan is to do this at least every Sunday, but so far that hasn't happened.  But it's there when I need a lift and some inspiration and I'm thrilled it's on my list of enjoyable pursuits.

I hope I have inspired to you get out your pencils and make your scriptures shine with your lovely doodling.  I think you will love it as much as I do. 

Thanks for visiting Nannyland.
I'll just be here blissfully creating until your next visit. 
Nancy (aka Pink Panoply)

No comments:

Post a Comment