Friday, March 8, 2024

My Cozy Little Hand Stitching Retreat

                

Today I choose: calm over chaos, serenity over stress, peace over perfection,
grace over grit, faith over fear. 

          

Hey there from Nannyland,

I spent this past week piecing a lovely-tho-complicated quilt top using some of my treasured emotional support fat quarters.  My discombobulated brain needs a little rest before I do all the finishing touches and get it ready to bind,  so it's folded neatly on a hanger, languishing in a closet for now.  In the meantime, I took a breather from creating my journals and cards in Nannyland, and created a cozy little retreat where I can do my hand stitching projects.  My list of necessary trappings consisted of good lighting, comfortable chair, place to store projects and a big TV screen with cable. 



I found all of these things in a cozy corner in my roomy master bedroom.  I have loved lounging in my relaxing blue fabric recliner while reading a book or magazine, so it was easy to expand its use to hand sewing.  An Ottlight floor lamp bought at 40% off from Joann Fabrics creates excellent lighting for my projects and a lap desk bought at Barnes and Noble provides a convenient work space. 

 A large screen TV already exists opposite the chair, perfect for watching my favorite YouTube quilting and sewing videos while stitching. 




Colorful sewing boxes are the best for varied projects because they have a large compartment at the bottom and removable trays at the top for smaller supplies...and they look adorable. BTW, that amazing and pristine mid-century cedar chest is a gift I received for Christmas when I was 16 years old. No, you can't buy it!  








I keep my supplies for English paper piecing in a sewing box with small narrow trays at the bottom to store my fabric covered templates.  I have a bobbin box with multiple colored threads stored there also.  On the top layer I keep my smaller supplies such as needles, glue, thread, needle threader, magnets, scissors, etc. 




A pretty hand-made basket holds my yarn, the crochet needles I am using for my project, scissors and a large plastic needle to weave threads. My collection of smaller hooks and less used supplies are in a cute smaller sewing basket. 



I've noticed that Cross stitch has regained its popularity recently, especially among quilters.  I used to love needle point and embroidery and spent many hours doing some elaborate projects like family Christmas stockings, which we still have to this day.  I'm discovering that counted cross stitch is much less complicated and just as satisfying.  I also think it must be beneficial to my aging brain, because there's a lot of math, counting and trying to keep my place on a sometimes very intricate pattern.  Calisthenics  for the brain.    







I've seen some of the most adorable project bags made by my quilty friends and they seem like a very good way to use scraps and learn to navigate sewing a zipper, but for now I'm using some mesh bags I found at Staples and they work great.  I'm storing them in a cherished hand-made basket I bought in Charleston, SC from an amazing hand weaver.   Decorative and useful is my mantra.  


On the opposite side of my master bedroom is an equally tranquil space.  When we moved from our last  home, I very reluctantly had to give my piano away for lack of space in our new home.  As promised, the first thing my husband bought me was a high tech keyboard that feels and sounds amazingly like a piano.  And I have loved that it never goes out of tune.  I have the same Ottlight floor lamp here and a shelf above with room for books and a metronome.   

I love having a choice of cozy retreats in my home where I can choose a different blissful reverie, depending on my mood.  A cozy nest is just what we all need to wrap ourselves in when the stresses of life get a little overwhelming.  I hope you have such a space. 

Thanks for visiting Nannyland.
I'll just be here blissfully creating until your next visit.
Nancy (aka Pink Panoply)

No comments:

Post a Comment