Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Grandma's Flower Garden Quilt - English Paper Piecing


 Why did she make things? Well, she enjoyed it, of course,
but it also somehow helped her remember who she was
 and where she came from. 



Hey there from Nannyland,


Yayyy! I finally finished my Grandma's Flower Garden quilt and I really love the way it turned out, imperfections and all.  I've been sewing the English Paper Pieced hexagons together to create my flowers since the dawn of time and I was excited when I realized I had finally accumulated enough for a quilt.  I used THIS Flowers For Emma pattern by Sherri McConnell for my inspiration because I loved the way she pieced four low volume fabrics to create the backgrounds for her flower blocks.  


My EPP flowers are truly scrappy because I used small, very old scraps from my stash that I had collected over many years and none of my flowers are the same.  I used yellow dotted fabric for the centers to create a unifying element.  


I chose a cute flower pantograph for my quilting to mimic my flowers.   I added white sashing to add some contrast to my blocks and a green Lori Holt "sew cherry" border because many of my fabrics had cherry or fruit motifs.  What's not to like about cherries!   As usual, I added striped binding to finish my quilt. 

Although this quilt certainly has a handsewn vibe with lots of imperfections, it will always be one of my favorites because so much time and affection went into it.  This one won't end up on some careless person's lap in front of the TV in danger of getting snacks spilled on it.  I'll just carefully lay it on my lap when I want to reminisce about all the wonderful years I've spent blissfully playing with beautiful fabric and quilting. And all the fun hours I spent watching Hallmark movies while sewing my hexagons together.  I'm already starting a new batch and can't wait to see where they land. 

Thanks for visiting Nannyland.
I'll just be here blissfully creating until your next visit.
Nancy (aka Pink Panoply)

No comments:

Post a Comment